Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Savior's Enabling Power

Well the new semester did not wait for me to be ready...It has just plowed straight ahead without asking my permission. That seems to happen to me a lot. Change is good, but hard, and it never asks for our consent.

Brick continues to enjoy his new job at Verizon, especially since his trainer is Spock himself, you know, from Star Trek (at least I think it's Spock...might be one of those other weirdos...Star Trek Geeks, I apologize for my lack of ST knowledge). Seriously, this guy dresses up and goes to Star Trek conventions and everything, and totally looks authentic. Anyway, Brick pretends he's not a ST Geek himself and gets a kick out of the guy.

As for me, I am taking 16 credit hours, but as I like to tell people, this is my "fun semester." Three English classes, a photography class, a wheel-pottery class, and an institute class. I finish in December, and I figured I'd go out with a bang!

I am so excited about my classes, especially my institute class. It's "The Enabling Power of the Savior," and when I walked into the class yesterday, it felt so right. The past week has been a struggle for me, as I have had some hard news about my Grandma Maxine. I grew up next to her, and last semester finished up her life story. She is so close to my heart. Among other things, she has recently had to have her leg amputated, and has only been allowed by her caregiver to take Tylenol for the pain. It breaks my heart to consider the suffering she has been enduring. I think about how the hydrocodone I took for my wisdom teeth was sometimes not enough, and then I think of my poor grandma. My family has been praying so hard for her to receive the care she needs, but we are so far away and feel helpless.

As I have considered all this, and then walked into my class, I felt so strongly that the Savior is there for her. I realized that His atonement works for all kinds of pain, and that perhaps she is being allowed to suffer for just a little while so that, if nothing else, her granddaughter can learn the power of the Atonement. I still pray for her comfort and even release, but now I realize that all things happen for a reason, and I have to trust that.


P.S. I apologize for writing so much, again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I didn't know. I hope she's okay. That is so terrible. I'm so sorry about your Grandma. I'll keep her in my prayers too. I'm so glad you're going "out with a bang." How smart you are to take those classes while you still can. I hope you'll teach me all you learn in that photography class!

    ReplyDelete