Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Thanksgiving to Remember










Ammon's excited to get him some turkey!













Thanksgiving was, to say the least, interesting. I am happy to say that I was able to spend it with most of my family, which I haven't done since the year I graduated highschool. My Grandma Maxine passed away a few days before, and so we made a quick change of plans and and headed to Arizona. Hansy and his wife invited us to spend the holiday with them in their home, along with a few others. I made my grandma's signature Thanksgiving dishes--baked beans and sweet potato pie, and Casi brought in some new dishes from her side that I have to say are going to have to be regulars from now on!

On Friday, I talked Casi into squeezing me in at her salon and had my hair chopped and dyed. Brick says now he feels like he's married to another woman--a woman who looks older and more mature, and that he feels like he can no longer act immature around me because of the new 'do.

That was the same day that Brick got sick. I hate to say it, but he really looked like death. He was pale as a sheet, and had dark circles under his eyes, and was throwing up every few minutes for the first ten or so hours. He was moaning and had tremors every few seconds, and was running a fever. I seriously thought he had the Swine Flu, but seeing as how he is doing much better, I guess that's not the case (which we are SO grateful for). Swine Flu or not, I was worried, and I am so glad he's all better now.

The next day we attended my grandma's funeral. It was such a strange thing, first to go into their home and feel her absence, and then to see her sweet face and feel that absence again. Our family sang a song together that she taught us all and that her dad taught her, and it brought back great memories. I was also able to sing with my sister and sisters-in-law, and I was so glad we could give my grandma that gift. It was such a beautiful service, and it was really great to be there with family, I just wish it was for a different reason. I love being with my family, and it was such a blessing to be able to have them there to share that experience and give comfort.
So, needless to say, our holiday wasn't as traditional as usual, but it was definately a memorable one for all of us (and one Brick would probably rather forget).

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO CUTE!
    You look so good as a brunette and as a blonde - you are just good lookin girl! Glad brick is feeling better :) We'll be there in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your Grandma passed away. Your hair is way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear about your grandma, but glad you got to be with family.

    darling hair!! i love it!

    we four need to get together soon. it's been a LONG while....

    ReplyDelete