We're trying not to get too serious here in the Big Apple. There are a lot of grouchy people here, and the other day a guy knocked a slice of our pizza off the pan at Lombardi's as he was walking by and I had to stop myself from becoming a grouchy New Yorker and swearing at him. In my defense, that slice was worth like six bucks. Brick knows I am protective of my food. Seriously, though, people are cutthroat here, and I feel like they think I'm a creepy person if I smile at complete strangers on the street. It's just not done in NYC.Our first adventure in the big city began as soon as we stepped out of the airport. We had to get a taxi to get to our hotel, so we found one and set off. It took about two seconds for the guy to start shouting every expletive imaginable at his fellow drivers, and his forearm didn't leave his horn the entire twenty (although it felt like HOURS) minute drive. He was fearless, but holy hannah, I was scared to death. He hated driving behind anyone, and would start honking and brighting the drivers in the other lanes to let them know he was coming, ready or not, then he would just go, without waiting for them to move. I realized I was holding my breath halfway through, my palms were sweating, and my kneck hurt from swinging it from side to side to see if we were going to hit anyone.
It was with a grateful heart we said goodbye to the cabby. We were met at the Affinia Dumont
by a doorman who helped us to our place, a little one roomer with a kitchenette. After we were settled in there and had helped ourselves to the pillow buffet (yes, we were able to order from a variety of pillows, from buckwheat to stress-relieving magnet pillows), we set off to find dinner. We were overwhelmed the moment we stepped out onto the busy street. Right outside our door there the streets are lined with shops and restaraunts, and right down the way is the Empire State Building. We were getting nervous and hungry, and heaved a huge sigh of relief when we spotted something familiar: A McDonalds! I hate McDonalds, but I was happy to eat there at that moment.
Since the first night, Brick has started work for Goldman Sachs, and after a couple nerve-racking moments of subway confusion, he has settled into the routine of things. As for me, I am still feeling shell-shocked. I have to make a goal for myself each day to, say, go grocery shopping, just to get the nerve to go outside. Luckily, the third day I met the one other wife that is here with the trainees, and she is in the same boat, so we have been able to brave the jungle together the last few days, and I am grateful for that. I have yet to go on the subways by myself, and let me tell you, I am NOT looking forward to that. I am such a wuss.
The picture of me at the top making the monkey face is also at the museum. They had stuffed animals of every species imaginable. This one is an arangutan. It's huge!
(if you can tear your eyes away from that handsome face to even notice!)





Candice what a cool experience! I have to admit that I am jealous. You are going to make so many memories there. I can't wait to hear more stories and see more pictures. I want to go there one day. You are BEAUTIFUL!
ReplyDeleteLook at you big city folk! I am seriously jealous about the pillow buffet! We really need some new pillows. BJ and I read this post together and we are just hoping, hoping, hoping that we can find some cheap tickets to come visit!
ReplyDeleteBJ says to remember that at least at the end of it all you get to go back to Utah ;)
I'll pray for you and the subway!
It looks like you guys are having fun despite how big and scary it is (especially the driving, grouches, and picketing!). Good for you!! Keep it up. I am glad you found a friend to brave NYC with you. I look forward to a vicarious trip to NYC through your blog--keep posting!!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys! Hope you are having a great time! We miss you!
ReplyDeleteHope you guys have a great time! Miss you playing volleyball. It is weird not having you and Sandra playing! Keep posting so I can check out your cool adventures!
ReplyDelete