Thursday, February 18, 2010

Celebrating the City

Our President's Day/Valentine's Day weekend was full of fun (and a whole lot of walking!). We walked everywhere, from China Town to the Brooklyn Bridge to Time Square and back to our apartment. We kept the chill off with the occasional cup of hot cocoa or apple cider, and had a really great time exploring the city.

This is what the streets of New York look like on a permanent basis: a million people trying to go in what seems like the opposite direction that you are trying to go in!

China Town was CRAZY! I've never seen so many people buying dried jellyfish and dried octopus in my life! I'm not kidding. The smell was indescribable. It was quite the adventure. We wanted to buy something to try, but all the prices and names were in Chinese.

We found a deck where we could gaze at the Brooklyn Bridge and sit and contemplate life and such. The birds were awesome, all lined up waiting to get their pictures taken. Very sweet of them.





We were so close to the Statue of Liberty, and we were planning on taking a ferry across to see it, but the line was out of this world long, so we just walked around the dock seeing the monuments and boats. This one is dedicated to the navy, and it overlooked the Hudson River and faced the Statue of Liberty.

The ferry we were gonna take (and see that tall building in the background, the one that towers over the rest? That's Brick's work).


On our Valentine's day adventures we happened upon the Rockefeller Center, which was actually really cool. I really wanted to do the outdoor iceskating, because it looked all romantic.






We decided this year that it was my turn to plan our Valentine's day, since Brick has done it every other year. I thought he would appreciate an oh-so-romantic outing to the NBA store, since it's his favorite. While there we figured out I am tall enough to play in the NBA! I could too, you know!

Brick is not quite as tall as Yoa Ming.
Our day also consisted of the ever-so adventurous first time trying Indian food. We were the only ones in the restaurant because it was a little early, and we ordered a three course meal. We had no idea what to do when they brought out this hard tortilla thing with spices in it, and this bright greenish stuff, I guess to dip it in. I'm sure the waiters were enjoying our cluelessness. We just laughed it off as we guessed which fork to use and all, and it was a good time. The experience really encompasses what our relationship has been all along...a whole lot of guessing and laughing and trying new things together. Brick has really helped me to step out of my comfort zone. I am so grateful for his companionship!
On that note...Happy late Valentine's Day everyone!

4 comments:

  1. how fun! we are jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New York looks so amazing! I love all your photos. I'm glad you're loving it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NYC is the BEST!!! Although, I have to say that you picked the coldest time of year to live there {my Madison would call you a "big crazy head!"}. Your pictures make me want to go drink hot cocoa! :0) The next time you go to China Town, try the bite-size pancakes. They are HEAVENLY!!! And you have to try a hot dog with "the works" or as Bronxers would say, "the woiks". :0) LOL I haven't been to NYC since summer 2002, and they were still cleaning up Manhattan from 9/11, will you take some pics of the memorial for me? I'd love to see it, and also - there's a McDonalds {I know, your favorite!!} in that neighborhood that is 2-stories and has candle-lit booths, a gift shop, and a man in tails playing a baby grand... and still serves a Big Mac! Gotta love the wisdom of New York!! Take care and keep smiling at all those grumpy folks, maybe it will spread! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Candice and Brick,

    Some day I hope to make it out there, just to say I did -and to buy dehydrated octopus, of course. Let me know who knocked your pizza off you plate and I'll take care of him. Let's just say I know someone who knows someone. :)--Kevn

    ReplyDelete